Voter Registration

President Lyndon Johnson said, “This right to vote is the basic right without which all others are meaningless. It gives people — people as individuals — control over their own destinies.”

Guide to Voter Registration

Why does the College get involved in voter registration?

The 1998 reauthorization of the federal Higher Education Act includes a requirement that higher education institutions make a “good faith effort” to make mail voter registration forms available to all enrolled students. This federal legislation supports the campus’ long-standing goals of engendering leadership and citizenship among the student body.

Am I eligible to register to vote in New York state?

In order to register to vote you must be a citizen of the United States, have lived in New York at the address you are registering at for at least 30 days prior to the election, not be in jail or on parole for a felony conviction, be at least 18 years of age at the time of the next election, and not claim the right to vote elsewhere. Residents of other states are eligible to register in their home state.

As a college student living away from home, where should I register?

You may register to vote either at your college address or at your permanent address. If you register at your permanent address and want to vote while attending college, you must remember to request an absentee ballot approximately 30 days before the election. Check with the state election board for the exact deadline.

I live on campus and have a box number. What is the correct way to complete the registration form?

Students living in a residence hall or on-campus apartment should use their room/apartment/suite number and the name of their residence hall as their residence address. The box number is considered your mailing address.

To register to vote in New York state, simply obtain a voter registration form by visiting the Campus Activities and Corey Union Office, the SGA Office, or the NYPIRG Office, all of which are located in Corey Union. Students with disabilities may also obtain forms and assistance from Student Disability Services in Van Hoesen Hall. Other options for all is to call 1-800-FOR-VOTE to have a NYS Voter Registration Form mailed to you, or you can download and print the forms from the links above.
You may also register to vote online through the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles website.

If you live in a state other than New York, go to the National Voter Registration Form.

I registered to vote at my permanent address. How do I vote while I'm away at college?

If you are registered at your permanent address and wish to request an absentee ballot to vote in your permanent home address's district in New York, please see the NYS Board of Elections Absentee Ballot page.

If you live outside of New York state, you must contact your local board of elections. Links to local boards of elections can be found at the below websites.

Other non-partisan voter registration or information sites you can visit:

More Information

If you have any questions about how to register to vote, please visit the Campus Activities Office in Corey Union.

Kevin Pristash
Fay Corey Union and Conferences
SUNY Cortland
P.O. Box 2000
Cortland, NY 13045