When is the application deadline?

Spring: Dec. 1
Summer: April 1
Fall: July 1

The deadlines are target dates that we would like to have your application on file. It allows the academic departments plenty of time to review your application. Applicants are encouraged to submit their online application and all supporting documents as early as possible. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis until a program is filled. If a deadline has passed, contact the Graduate Admissions Office at 607-753-4800 to inquire about program availability. Most applicants are notified of their admission decision within three to four weeks unless otherwise specified by the department. Review of applications begins as early as January for summer and fall term entry and August for spring term entry.

What do I need to send in?

Please review the Admissions Criteria page and select your program choice for detailed information on admission requirements.

Where do I send my materials?

All application materials may be sent to:

Graduate Admissions Office
SUNY Cortland
P.O. Box 2000
Cortland, NY 13045

Can the transcript I sent to SUNY Cortland for acceptance in the undergraduate program be used for applying to the graduate program?

The transcripts you submitted for undergraduate admissions are part of your permanent file in Registrar's Office. The Graduate Admissions Office will be creating a permanent file for your graduate records and must have original, official transcripts for that file. You will need to request official transcripts for your graduate application from all colleges other than SUNY Cortland. We can obtain your Cortland transcript in-house.

I will graduate with my bachelor's degree and am applying for my initial certification, but I may not receive it in time to put it with my graduate application. Can I still get accepted without it?

Yes. When you fill out the graduate application you may mark pending next to the certification information. You can be accepted conditionally. When you obtain your initial certification, send a copy to the Graduate Admissions Office. C.A.S. applicants must provide a copy of their permanent certification for acceptance into any of the C.A.S. programs that require certification.

Is the GRE required for admission?

Currently, the GRE is required for Communication Sciences and Disorders, Exercise Science, History, and Sport Management (which also accepts the GMAT).

If you are applying for an education program, you need to be aware that New York state mandates that all SUNY teacher preparation programs adopt college entrance assessments for admissions consideration.  Anyone submitting an application for admission is required to submit scores for ONE of the following:

  • The Graduate Record Examination (GRE) with a minimum score of 280,
  • Miller Analogies Test (MAT) with a minimum score of 400,
  • edTPA with a passing score as set by New York state, OR
  • The Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators, with a minimum score of 450.

What program should I take?

What are you interested in? What is your undergraduate degree in? You are the one who knows your own strengths and what you like. Review our Programs and Requirements page online to see what programs are available and the admission requirements.

Back To Top


When do I pay for my classes?

If you register online (matriculated students only), you will be billed. If you are doing paper registration, we need payment at the time of registration.

How much is tuition?

Please review the Student Accounts website for information on tuition and fees.

When does my financial aid come in?

All questions pertaining to financial aid should be addressed to the Financial Aid Office. You may review the Financial Aid Office website, or contact them at 607-753-4717.

I am considering taking a graduate course as a non-matriculated student. What is the availability of financial aid?

Non-matriculated students are not eligible for financial aid.

Back To Top


Are there winter session classes for graduates?

We occasionally offer an online graduate course in winter, but normally we do not offer graduate courses during Winter Session.

How many credits are considered part-time?

Anything less than nine credit hours is considered part-time. For financial aid, part-time is 6 to 11.5 credit hours.

I don't have any student teaching experience. Can I get it at Cortland without being in a program?

No. You must be matriculated in a degree program and meet all the prerequisites for student teaching.

Can I transfer in credits from another college?

After you have been accepted into a program here at Cortland, completed six credit hours here, and applied for candidacy (if required by your program), you may complete a Request for Acceptance of Graduate Credit Completed at Other Institutions form which is available on our site under forms.

If I received something about the MMR vaccine, does that have anything to do with your office?

No. You need to contact Student Health Service at 607-753-4811 or review the Student Health Service website.

Do you have courses online?

Some courses are offered online and some are offered by distance learning.

Back To Top

Non-matriculated students

Non-matriculated students do not have access to web registration or web drop and add. Non-matriculated students must do all of these functions via paper forms.

I already graduated. I want to take more classes to get another certificate but I can't register online due to student status, what does that mean?

Once you have graduated you are no longer in a program and are considered non-matriculated. Please follow the registration procedures for non-matriculated students.

When do non-matriculated students register?

Non-matriculated students may register in person at the Registrar's Office, Miller Building, Room 223. Payment is required at the time of registration.

Please review our Dates and Deadlines page for information about when non-matriculated students may register. The Non-Web Registration form for non-matriculated students will be available on our forms page by the date you can register.

What if I can't come to the non-matriculated student registration?

You can fax in the registration form on the with credit card information on the form. Your form will be processed in the same time period as walk-in students. If you can't fax it in then you can send a surrogate in your place with the form filled out and payment. Check our Dates and Deadlines page for non-matriculated student registration dates.


Once I apply, when can I register for classes?

You will receive a letter of acceptance from the Graduate Admissions Office and instructions on how to register.

How do I register?

Matriculated students can register via the web during a specific time frame. Please review the How to Register Online page for information regarding the registration calendar and instructions to register online. You will need to scroll towards the bottom of this page to find the calendar and instruction links.

Once web registration has closed, matriculated students will need to use the alternative registration process. Information is available on the Registrar's Office Registration Information webpage.

Non-matriculated students should also visit the Registrar's Office Registration Information webpage.

I have an error message when I try to register: Why? How do I take care of it?

Please review the Registration Error Messages. You may print off both instructions and error message information.

How to sign on to myRedDragon?

Enter your username (firstname.lastname) and password. If you are unable to obtain access, contact the Help Desk 607-753-2500 between the hours of 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.

What is this HOLD and how do I get it off?

Banner will state what the HOLD is for and then you will need to contact that department to resolve the hold. No action can be taken on your registration until the hold is removed. If the hold is removed and it is too late for online registration you may fax, with credit card information, mail or bring in your registration form with payment.

Graduate Admissions Office
Miller Building, Room 106

Mailing Address
Graduate Admissions Office
P.O. Box 2000
Cortland, NY 13045

Phone: 607-753-4800
Fax: 607-753-5988
Email: Graduate.Admissions@cortland.edu

Monday through Friday
8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.